Saturday, January 29, 2011

Cold Kinda

I love California. It's one of the last days of January, and the past few days have been at least in the 70's during the day.Where else can you enjoy such awesome weather in the middle of winter? The caveat is that these early mornings and late nights have been fantastically freezing! Tonight, for the bare minimum of time on the bike, and Thursday were both on the trainer, which isn't too bad, although it gets a little lonely.

Yesterday is the ride I want to pay more attention to. In the hope of riding with the CSULB Triathlon team and to get to 8am class on time, I left home at 0dark00, a.k.a. 5am to reach El Dorado Park early enough to get some good riding in. Rolling at 6am didn't seem to be all that bad an idea, until I remembered to check the thermometer in my car: 44 degrees Fahrenheit. Um brrr. Not only that, but the iPhone app for weather felt fine to tell me there was a 4 degree drop due to wind chill. Luckily, I'd thought it would be "a little cold", so I had some warm gear. Definite new rule: always keep the full fingered gloves in the truck.

Had a decent little warm up with Ethan Machado in the park, just trying to defrost our fingertips. When everything was said and done, repeats of 2 laps at hard tempo 1 lap recover, we finished about 18 miles. I'm always stoked to have someone to ride with, guaranteed I would be unhappy at best if I were cycling in such cold, at such an early morning by myself. A picture to come from the morning, just before the sun was up, capturing the moon in a good light.

Looking forward to riding  through UCI tomorrow in the hope of understanding the new course and hopefully delivering a solid performance in a couple weeks. More to come after tomorrow's ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment