Saturday, January 1, 2011

A Ride a Day

Every New Years, many people make a resolution to either lose weight, get to the gym, or "get healthy". When asked what my New Years resolution was, I didn't have any solid ideas. I'm young enough that I can get away with eating whatever I want, throw in a couple workouts a week and break even. Like most people over the age of 18 that train for triathlon, balancing school, work, homework, work, social life, and training sometimes seems insurmountable. Over the past few months I've tried to keep myself accountable through different ways, with hit and miss success. So with the New Year, I've decided to keep track of my daily workouts online, and to finish the year with at least 365 rides, or a ride a day. Luckily for me, rain won't be a problem with the help of my indoor trainer. My hope is to keep track of every ride, daily, with at least keeping track of distance traveled or time spent on the trainer, the occasional heart rate, and who I can convince to tag along with me on my rides.

And with the first day of 2011 coming to a close, it's about time for what my ride was today. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get in on a giant group ride in Lake Forest or Long Beach, but was able to convince Todd Winkler to go for a quick ride to the Canyon. Up Lake Forest Drive and up Glen Ranch Road led us into Santiago Canyon, past Cook's Corner. Due to some light issues and dinner plans, we turned around before getting too deep in the Canyon. On the way back, Todd made a point of how quickly he could descend, but the uphills proved to be in my favor.

A quick 15.4 mile ride was plenty to start the new year, and tomorrow will be plenty more.

No comments:

Post a Comment